Friday, September 5, 2008

Warning: This Post is Boring! ALMOST as much as Philosophy! Ü

So I've been thinking for some time now that I need to write a new post! Unfortunately, I have had NOTHING good to write about! Ben and Taryn have moved in and that's been fun! I also started school but that ISN'T fun (ha ha ha) so I've been left subject-less. So... because I have nothing better to write about and this is on my mind...here goes.

(This is where the boring part starts!) So for those of you who don't know, my major is Psychology. I signed up for a Philosophy class this semester because I thought "hmmm... Psychology.... Philosophy... they're friends, right?" Um... no. Okay, it's only week 2 so I'm willing to keep an open mind about it but I THINK that Philosophy and Psychology aren't friends like I thought. In Philosophy, the philosophers ramble on about the POTENTIAL for some alternate thought or alternate way of being but seem to TALK THEMSELVES IN CIRCLES instead of really making any kind of evolution in progressive thought! Psychologists are all about progressive thought but they create experiments and trials to prove their theories, instead of TALKING about it. Okay, okay, the Psychologists of Socrates' time might not have been as progressive as the ones today, but I still think my point stands. Alright... I'm done... that's my ramble, brought on by an assignment to read a 31 page philosophical perspective on whether or not people are real (gag me!) so thanks for listening! Apologies to all the Philosophy majors out there! I'm sure... err... it's a cool area of interest? No.

Someone give me something to blog about so I don't have to write anymore horrible blogs like this. Ü

5 comments:

Candice said...

It's funny that you're talking about this, because I just stayed up til midnight last night typing up a psychology assignmet for Randall. I have to admit that the entire time that I was typing about perspectives, variables, nature vs. nurture...I was thinking how the crap is Rachel majoring in this? It totally brought me back to the 2 psych classes I had to take where I had to memorize all these stupid terms and theories, all the while thinking "Who the crap cares if a person behaves the way they do because they inherited their Dad's crazy genes or because their Mom left them in dirty diapers for too long as a baby?" Does it really change anything? I could never be a therapist because I would just tell people to stop acting crazy and be normal, whether they had hideous diaper rash as a baby or not. More power to ya if you find it interesting, but it just makes me REALLY grateful that I didn't ever take a philosophy class. If you think that's boring, it must be really bad! Ü

The Brownlemmons said...

Ok, so in about 17 days (that's at least going from today) there will be all kinds of thing to blog about. Heroes will be starting yet another season along with tons of others to follow during the same week. There's Knight Rider, My Name is Earl, and your personal fave...The Office. In the mean time you could blog about your endeavers to get Ben to buy Rock band 2 when it comes out in just over a week. If he gets it soon enough, you could even blog about how awesome it is to play as a band with us Utahns online via Xbox live. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Hopefully one of those works for you.

Ben and Taryn said...

Wow Philosophy sounds like so much fun...Not!! I think the psychology stuff we've talk about is really interesting and thought provoking. Philosophy with it's talks going in circles totally reminds me of something or someone :)

Rachel said...

Candice: Good point... the memorization in psychology is kind of a drag, but once you get past that and into the nitty gritty of it, it can be super interesting! I'll have to send you some really good recent research in Psych... there's some good stuff. (I can hear your joyous reaction at me giving you RESEARCH in my head right now) Okay, okay, I won't try to convert you, but read Taryn's post! I've told her some of that interesting research and she likes it! Ü

Steve: Those are some great ideas! Rock Band 2 looks really awesome, but his XBOX is currently out of commission, so I don't want to bring it up right now, it's kind of a sad subject right now. I AM excited about Heroes and The Office though! YAY!

Taryn: Thanks for backing me up on the Psych thing! tee he he. Funny stuff.

Tara said...

Hey rach,I have never taken philosophy, but I don't think I would like it either. My room mate took it and HATED it. It seems like they just try to make you question everything that you believe or know to be true. I mean really... do we really exist? That is a pretty stupid question to ponder if you ask me. I love psychology like you do! In fact, I would love that psych stuff if Candice doesn't want it. And btw candice, the reason you analyze why people do stuff is to try not to repeat their, or their parents mistakes!! :) But it is true, you can't really change their crazy genes can you? I like to think about and debate stuff like that though. Because obviously, people make their own choices too. It just helps me sometimes to understand people better when I try to analyze why they do the things they do. Sorry, I will stop my looong lecture.